Tuesday, May 7, 2013

THE FASCINATING NATURE OF THE STRING


You ever have one of those innocent memories from childhood just come at you? I have those from time to time and I guess it's okay because it makes me think back to a simpler time in my life. I used to watch quite a bit of PBS which is a good explanation for my education. My favorite show was the classic Sesame Street. Watching sesame street was like watching my imaginary friends come to life to teach me lessons. I loved Big Bird because he was like that sensitive friend that is always there to listen and give a word of encouragement. I remember I would also watch spanish Sesame Street and I loved that feeling of being able to have fun by myself. I grew up a fairly lonely kid since my siblings were older and I did not really have a ton of friends. I was a bit of a gregarious little oddball of a person.

One thing that I used to do for therapeutic purposes was play with string. I loved string because I learned I could shape it into anything I wanted. I learned in Sesame Street that, while string was normally a straight line, my imagination could shape into anything. I was fascinated with the idea of a puppet shaping string and making it into something cool. Every day after I got home from school I would find string and turn it into an abject.

I recall I had planes, cars, hand turkeys, and even dogs made from string. All of these creations were silhouettes on a table but to a lonely boy like me they were something else. To me string was a silent companion that amused me with its bendable nature. Anytime I see string I smile because it takes me to a time when being lonely did not feel like falling through an endless opening at the bottom of the deepest ocean. Sometimes the greatest comfort lies in the most unexpected objects.


No comments:

Post a Comment