Sunday, May 26, 2013

BEHIND THE CANDELABRA


I watched the Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra and I have to admit I was impressed. I was never a big fan of Liberace because I thought he was for old ladies. I remember one of his big selling points was the fact that he was a "confirmed" bachelor and good son. I remember that my grandmother was a huge fan of his. I would constantly hear of his prowess at the piano and his showmanship. Liberace's homosexuality was one of those thinly disguised secrets that you knew was true but was skirted in order to respect his privacy and the old school " keep it in the closet" mentality.

What really stuck out for me was the insinuation that Liberace actually felt liberated after his mother's death. Liberace was considered the top showman of his time given his passion for flash. I think the film did a great job of making sure that Michael Douglas looked over the top at all times. I think that the performance by Rob Lowe as plastic surgeon Jack Startz could not have been more entertaining. The film was a bit of an eye opener because all those old ladies could never have imagined Liberace as an oversexed, depraved, man cougar in sequence.



I guess if you look at the outfits and cars it's not hard to imagine that Liberace was really working in an atmosphere all his own, breathing glitzy air and what have you. Liberace was in a world all his own, making seven or eight million per year when the biggest stars in film and mainstream music were not even close to those types of paychecks. The film does portray a deep insecurity and somewhat perverse nature that was a clear product of his desire to remain young, vital, and appealing. Liberace was one of those entertainers that simply commanded too much attention.


Perhaps what made Liberace so successful was that over the top flamboyance that he added to his spectacular talent for the piano. While I am still not a fan I can say that the film really portrayed multiple sides to the man, which I find fascinating. Liberace was more than his ridiculous outfits and toys, he was a man living in torment to some extent. I think that the film does a great job showcasing Liberace as a bit of a narcissist that wanted to put his "stamp" on everything, including his boy toys.

Ultimately his AIDS related death and all the things that came out about him did not really do anything negative to his legacy as a performer. The film does a great job of building sympathy for all involved. Everything that's negative and positive about Liberace's life seems to enhance his legend. While everyone talks of Elvis Presley's addictions and Rock Hudson's negligence, no one seems to comment on Liberace. Behind the Candelabra is not and overwhelming attack on Liberace's promiscuity, homosexuality, and death but rather a commentary on the over the top nature of his life as a whole.

Today Liberace is a legend known more for his flash than his supreme talents, the film does a great job reminding us of that. While Liberace is a name associated with Vegas lore whose talents are more known to previous generations I think this film re introduces him to a whole new audience. I have vague memories of televised specials and the news of his real cause of death. I'll never share memories of what a good son he was because I did not grow up during a period where he would be a significant participant. I can only really say this, based on his life, his glitzy style, and even what's been reported about him and portrayed in this film, Liberace was no one other than the glitter man that everyone saw on stage. I guess Liberace was too much of a good thing for himself and his public, kudos to him for his  shine.


No comments:

Post a Comment