Wednesday, March 13, 2013

DOWN SYNDROME IS ALSO REAL HONESTY


Down syndrome is often looked at by the massively ignorant as a handicap. I understand that there are serious limitations that hamper the possibility of a thoroughly independent life for those with down syndrome. I do have to say that people show a thorough lack of understanding in terms of the full scope of down syndrome when they talk about all the so called negative aspects of it.

I recently had a chance to interact with a boy that has down syndrome. The boy was an inspiration to me. Due to health issues as a child he did not have fully developed speech but he did look like he could play any sport with the greatest of ease and skill. The boy was loving, respectful, honest, and extremely well behaved. There was something more about this boy that really stuck out to me and that was the purity of his spirit.

Whenever I interacted with this boy he would ask me to see what he was doing as a way to share with me. I remember him illustrating what he was doing and how he was doing it. To this boy there was a beauty in even the simplest things. We can learn from people with down syndrome about so many things. A kid with down syndrome does not have an affliction but a way to appreciate the beauty of simplicity, love without lies and hypocrisy. I respect and revere people with down syndrome not because of what they deal with but because of the grace they overcome it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment