Sunday, March 10, 2013

GOTTA LOVE THE SNL FIVE TIMERS CLUB


This week's SNL brought back an old all time favorite known as the Five Timers Club. Justin Timberlake once again proved why he is the new Christopher Walken of SNL. Justin is a stand out and I have to admit he is actually pretty funny. I was never a huge fan of  NSYNC but Justin Timberlake is one of those rare individuals that outgrew all of that and turned into a mega power. I digress with all the Timberlake talk, let's get back to the Five Timers Club.

The first time I saw the Five Timers Club was in 1989 and I believe the newest member was Tom Hanks. In the sketch were Paul Simon, Steve Martin, and Elliot Gould and they all sat around with smoking jackets and pipes . The thing was hilarious and it became an every so often sketch that never lost its appeal. In a way that particular sketch is a lot like Christopher Walken's The Continental in that it makes SNL fresh and gives it room to breathe for a few minutes.

I liked the continuity in that sketch as it brought back Paul Simon, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Candace Bergen and Tom Hanks as well as everyone's favorite Baldwin. Watching that sketch was like going back in time to a point where I was staying up past my bed time and watching a show that I did not understand completely but somehow managed to make me laugh a lot. SNL has been having a pretty good run for the last few years with cast members like Keenan Thompson and Bill Hader but it's good to see it get back to its roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment