Monday, February 4, 2013

DIGITAL HIGHLANDER


I read an article about the management of Facebook pages belonging to those that have passed on. The article basically says that some states are looking into creating a bill that takes a deceased person's social media page and hands it over to the executor of the person's estate.

This is great idea but at the same time kind of morbid. I am surprised that Facebook is being referred to as a digital asset. I guess this is a sign of the times, we live in an age where what we have online is almost as important as our day to day lives. I can imagine what a last will and testament with Facebook stipulations would read like:

I Ric Acevedo of sound mind and body do hereby bequeath control of my digital assets to my son provided that the following stipulations are met within ten days of my passing.


  1. Tell friend #12 that I do like that.
  2. Reveal something shocking for every 100 likes.
  3. Make a fan page for my funeral.
  4. Send out 6,000 invitations to Farmville, Lucky Slots, and Diamond Dash.
  5. Have a kinky Arena memorial. 
  6. Like at least twenty random pages. 
  7. Inbox that sexy prostitute and book her as a gag.
I guess it's necessary to keep things in order in this digital age especially when you consider there are well over a billion active users in the world of social media. There was mention of this kind of legislature helping bring closure to families. I think that it's noble to assume families can get closure but truthfully if a media page stays open I think it further drives home that feeling of loss and pain. 

I like to think that we have reached the era of digital immortality if this legislature is passed on a federal level. Someone call Christopher Lambert and Adrian Paul because I have a script for " Highlander: The Social Media Quickening."  

No comments:

Post a Comment