Tuesday, February 19, 2013

THE PISTORIUS EXCUSE


Over the last few days I've been following the tragic death of the beautiful Reeva Steenkamp and I have to say that every time I see some news story with background or a new development it really breaks my heart. I don't know much about Oscar Pistorius outside of his inspiring achievements as an athlete. Pistorius seemed to have the world at his feet given his incredible athletic ability in spite of his very serious handicap.

The death of his girlfriend comes as a shock especially given the circumstances. Pistorius stated that he thought a burglar had snuck into his home and he went to confront said burglar. The story Pistorius is trying to tell sounds like a defense crafted pack as opposed to the real truth. I know that the crime stats in South Africa are staggering but Pistorius said that he yelled at the "intruder" in the bathroom. If he yelled I doubt that his girlfriend did not hear him well enough to yell back. I also fail to see how after the first shot landed his girlfriend did not let out a yell in pain and horror.

Reeva Steenkamp was still alive when he "realized" she was in the bathroom. I am sure Pistorius feels horribly about what happened but that won't change the fact that a beautiful girl with a promising future is now dead. It's been rumored that steroids were found on hand so of course everyone will likely point at a steroid rage incident but I think there may be more to the story. I won't speculate because it's not in my nature to do so. There are still some things that don't make sense like the bloody bat.

I am wondering what the bloody cricket bat will reveal when tested by forensics. I don't know honestly if the bat has been tested yet or what the fate of that development has been as of yet. Time will tell what really happened through the process of a trial but something tells me that there will always be something missing that only Pistorius and the late Reeva Steenkamp know. In the end this is a tragic event that will forever be remembered as definition of Oscar Pistorius.

No comments:

Post a Comment