Thursday, November 8, 2012

WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE


This particular blog is about mental illness and the complexity of it. I am not an expert nor can I claim to be one even though my mother is a Psychologist. I can't say that my coursework on basic Psych allows me a vast understanding of mental illness outside of basic knowledge such as Oedipal and Jocasta complexes. I was compelled to write about this because of the news of the sentencing of  Jared Lee Loughner who not too long ago was the central figure in a massacre that resulted in many gravely injured and in the shooting  and critical wounding of US Congresswoman Gabby Giffords. 

To my understanding Jared Lee Loughner is a schizophrenic under severe drug treatment at least after the attack. To me this is a human tragedy of the very worst kind not just because of the loss of six people, and the wounding of thirteen including Giffords. To me it was also a tragedy because this is the type of event that puts such a stigma on mental illness that it prevents people who suffer from it to be seen as productive. I understand that in case of schizophrenia it's very hard to be productive but it is far from impossible.

By definition schizophrenia is " a disease that makes it hard to think clearly, understand the difference between real and fake and act normally in social situations." Often times environmental factors do play a role in the development of such a problem. In the case of Loughner it seems that usage of alcohol as well as hallucinogens and his inability to cope with rejection really led to his explosion. Then there are Loughner's issues with female figures in positions of power. 

To me Loughner is a psychopath that took one too many drugs and decided to try and carry out his will. My biggest problem with this whole situation is that I have seen people diagnosed with schizophrenia try and lead normal lives yes under heavy psychotropic medications and yes sometimes under a degree of supervision. I feel that it is unfair to characterize mental illness as a dark spot on the basis of one isolated incident. 

I am not saying that this is happening now after this ruling but I can hear the sounds of ignorance and widespread stupidity coming a mile away. Let's call it as it is and draw the line where it needs to be drawn. Loughner was an asshole with a huge frustration that revolved around a real distaste for women in general among other things. I don't think it was his illness that pulled the trigger it was his nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment