Wednesday, October 30, 2013

THE REAL BLURRED LINES


I guess Marvin Gaye's kids are suing EMI as well as Robin Thicke over Blurred Lines. I'm assuming that the lawsuit is as a result of the resemblance to the song Got to Give it Up. The songs do sound a lot like one another. The truth of the matter is that I don't think Robin Thicke meant to rip off Marvin Gaye. I think everyone sees it like an affront but honestly I don't.

I think that they actually produced that track in an attempt to recapture a sound that has not been heard in a long time. The fact of the matter is that there is such starvation for good music that people who care  will dig in the archives of greatness. The question is, are Marvin's kids suing to get some cash? or do Marvin's kids want respect for their father?

It seems like Marvin's kids don't really have any say on where royalties go since Marvin's catalog is managed by EMI. The lines are not so much blurred by the sound but by the intention to ensure that someone gets paid. I wonder if the Vanilla Ice/Queen/David Bowie thing will come into place here. Well, someone's gonna have to give it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment