Tuesday, July 16, 2013

OKAY THEN, LET'S CALL IT CORRECTLY


I guess that tennis and basketball are now officially the same sport. I saw an article about the legendary Wilt Chamberlain's record of 33 straight wins with the Lakers being broken. I was shocked to see that because basketball season ended with the Heat winning the tittle again. I clicked on the link to the article and it was a tennis team that beat the record. What I found interesting is the fact that the sport is tennis and not basketball. I love tennis and I think it's a great sport but I don't see how a record established in tennis is the same as a record established in basketball.

To keep an undefeated streak that long is a feat in any sport but to compare the two in an article doesn't really make sense. Tennis and basketball are different sports with different rules. A tennis match can go as long as a basketball game and longer and usually has two opposing players following a strict set of rules. Basketball is a team sport with a lot heavier physical involvement and a regular season of 82 games not including the playoffs. The Washington Kastles are a World Team Tennis league and, considering how difficult tennis can be, they deserve their props for achieving that but the comparison is still a bit of a long shot.

I will tip my hat because tennis takes a great deal of skill and focus as does basketball, at least when you are playing seriously. I just think the headlines should read a bit differently next time because certain historic records can really only be broken by players and teams in the actual sport the record was set in. Way to go Washington Kastles!


No comments:

Post a Comment