Sunday, July 28, 2013

HILLARY


I have been hearing a lot about Hillary Clinton making a run in 2016. I am not one to really go into politics often but I will say this, I think Hillary's chances are not as great as people make them out to be. Hillary Clinton is a brilliant woman and it's clear she was not a run of the mill first lady. I admire her 1994 push for a universal healthcare plan as well as her 7 year US senate run. I think Hillary is one of the great first ladies, proving that a difference can be made in that spot, beyond a symbolic diplomatic role.

I don't think that with her history of recent health issues, and the much publicized Benghazi issue, Hillary can really make a strong showing for herself. I do believe that the right time would have been in 2008, I believe she had far more experience than Obama and was better suited to handle the economy. I think another issue that will really cripple Hillary Clinton's chances in 2016 will be her age. The last three US presidents elected have all been under 55. This country has yet to openly accept the possibility of a female president.

I do think that republicans will face an uphill climb in 2016 simply because there is no visibly strong candidate out there. I will say this for republicans, 76' did not have a darker horse than Jimmy Carter and he beat Gerald Ford, granted that Ford was weakened by his pardon of Nixon as well as the loss of Nelson Rockefeller, who chose not to run on the Ford ticket. Right now 2016 will be determined by how the economy, job market, and healthcare legislation all look.

While I do think that a female president would help the US re-establish its credibility as the world's lead power, I am almost certain that it won't be Hillary. I could be wrong, however I don't care because in the end I don't think in terms of party lines, I think in terms of what's best, and lately nothing really seems to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment