Saturday, September 8, 2012

Every Window has a Story


Ever since I was a child I have been fascinated by teller windows pretty much everywhere with the exception of the post office. My reason for said fascination comes from wondering why there was an area you could see an not be a part of. I would constantly ask what was behind the window.

Today as I ran errands, against my own better judgement, I decided to go to Amscot to get some money orders because it seemed like the quickest way to get some bills taken care of. As I requested my money orders in this crowded place I decided to step back several steps and look around. Once I was done I decided to step back completely and observe for about two minutes.

Over the period of two minutes I realized that I was fascinated by the story on either side of the window. I wondered how tellers dealt with the stress of self entitled individuals feeling that they were or at least should be priority one. I also wondered how the tellers felt in terms of the money being at their disposal. Did any one of those tellers ever feel like walking off with a few dollars?

Then I looked at the people on the other side of the windows and I wondered if they were depressed, angry, or just frustrated. I noticed this one little boy looking around with a sense of indifference to the world because he was consuming vast quantities of movie theater candy. I got an almost panoramic view of human condition and realized that one of the best places to understand the term "individual" is in a place where there are teller windows.

It seems to me like wherever money is present there is always that feeling of reality without veils.

No comments:

Post a Comment