Wednesday, June 5, 2013

IT'S OKAY TO BE A HAPPY PROSTITUTE



I read this article about a happy hooker add being pulled in Brazil due to severe backlash. I guess the add was put up by the health ministry in order to promote safe sex among sex professionals and take some of the stigma away from the sexual satisfaction profession. I think part of the problem is that they chose some fairly ugly hookers and given the many sexy women Brazil has to offer.

I understand that prostitution is the oldest profession and I also understand that the health ministry was trying desperately to promote safety, but selling sex is still frowned upon, safe or not. Prostitution takes emotion away from sex and makes it into a service for cash exchange. There is no way that any country, with legalized prostitution, will ever take that stigma away from prostitution. While the whole service for cash exchange works for some, you can't expect everyone to see it as something noble.

People will always look down on prostitution as a desperate escape or an erroneous choice. I admire the attempt but the execution by the health ministry does come off as a general acceptance and glorification of prostitution. I do still think that it's okay to be a happy hooker because life is too short to be a sad hooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment