Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11


Some things you don't want to remember and some things you never can forget. September 11th, 2001 fits into the category of what can never be forgotten. I remember that day entirely too well. I was sitting in my car waiting for the traffic light to turn green. I was 22 and attending college; I remember I was switching stations trying to find a song that would satisfy my needs. Suddenly every station stopped in order to break the news that  the twin towers had been attacked, a plane crash, something awful.

I drove to my mother's house and I saw a building collapsing on the TV set. I was shocked when I saw another plane crash into the second tower. It no longer mattered if it was real time or a replay, this was something else. We were one nation under attack by extremism and cowardice. It was the end of feeling secure, and the beginning of understanding that we were now vulnerable. I remember that we all united as a singularly without political preferences.

The days that followed there was no democratic party, republican party, simply americans behind one leader. The word evildoers pretty much served as a universal description of our enemies. Today it's been 13 years since that day and we still live in fear of what may come next. We can never forget the people whose lives ended that day, the heroes that gave their life, their spirit, their emotion to the rescue efforts. We can't forget that day because as big a tragedy as it was it also showed an almost uniquely American trait, united courage. Never Forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment